The below is written by my beautiful, talented teen-aged daughter, Fang Zupke. Yes, “Fang” is a pseudonym that she picked out herself, and no, we don’t need family counseling but thanks for the suggestion.
I thought this would be a good time to talk about trolls in online gaming, since I know sometimes people get picked on in the games. You guys and gals, pass this on to your younger siblings, or any other kids you know, and parents looking at this, make sure to tell your kids about it. You don’t want them ending up getting trolled.
First off, let me make this clear: If you’re not old enough to be playing the game, then /don’t/ play the game. I can’t stress this enough; if you’re an eleven year old playing TF2, you shouldn’t be there. And you’re going to get trolled for it.
A troll is a person on the internet who tries to get a reaction out of people by doing various things. Sometimes it’s by breaking the rules in the game, sometimes it’s getting on your case about something else. Not to be confused with someone who’s actually trying to help, or is just doing something relatively harmless that you don’t like. But not to worry! I have a few tips that can help you avoid getting trolled:
1. Don’t use a mic. It keeps you from saying anything embarrassing, and it also keeps trolls from giving you a hard time about your voice.
2. Be polite. If you’re rude and yell at your teammates, or yell over other things in game, there’s a word for that. ‘Butthurt’. You’ll get it thrown at you a lot, and it attracts trolls. Trust me, you don’t want that.
3. Don’t complain. If someone’s breaking the rules, ask them politely to stop. If they don’t, let the admin deal with them. There’s not really anything else you can do.
4. Try to stay positive. Sometimes trolling is just a few guys having fun instead of trying to be mean. You can try to have fun, too. And staying positive means not letting them get to you and giving them the reaction they want. They /want/ you to get angry, and they want you to yell and threaten! Don’t give them that.
5. If all else fails, then leave. Just leave the server, and avoid the person or people who are trolling. They’ll say you’re ‘rage quitting’, but really, it’s the quickest way to defuse the situation on your end. If they follow you, then just keep going, and report them.
Hope I could help some.